iTunes keeps crashing when I try to play MPEG-4 videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samven582, Apr 18, 2010.

1. samven582 macrumors 6502a

For some odd reason iTunes keeps crashing when I try to play MPEG-4 videos from my library. Has anybody experiences this problem?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would help if you provide more info.

What hardware are you running?
    What OS and version are you running?
    What version of iTunes?
    What add-ons have you installed?
    Does it happen on all MP4s, or just some?
    What error message is displayed, if any?
    Is your library on your local drive or an external?
    Have you repaired permissions?
    Have you rebooted?

3. Crewzcontrol macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the same problem. It doesn't crash every time I play a video, but it is frequent and annoying. Mostly happens when I'm playing back video after editing tag information.

I'm using an early-2009 Mac Mini (Intel Core Duo 2GHz) with 1GB RAM
    Running Snow Leopard 10.6.7
    with iTunes 10.1.2 (17)
    no add ons
    crashes randomly on .m4v videos created in HandBrake with the High Profile setting (h.264 codec)
    no error message, only the option to ignore, report or reopen iTunes
    library is on internal drive, media is on an external USB drive
    permissions are repaired
    system has been rebooted

I have a lot of videos, but this problem just started happening recently as I've been adding more. At first I thought maybe the library file (created by PowerTunes 1.1.4) was corrupted, so I set up a new library and reimported everything, but I'm still having the same problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Or any suggestions for a better media manager than iTunes; I have a lot of of music and video files and iTunes isn't very adept and handling large collections.

I'm not a Mac newbie, but I'm not one who delves into the Command Line world, either ... so maybe advanced intermediate would be my level of Mac experience.

Thanks!

4. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

I've never had a problem, 1GB ram might not be enough.

5. Crewzcontrol macrumors newbie

Are you saying you don't think 1GB is enough to play mpeg-4 video, or not enough for a large iTunes library? I have been playing video before, and have only recently encountered this problem. Sometimes the crash isn't related to playing an mpeg-4 file (such as crashing when switching from my library to the iTunes Store).

I think my Mini maxes out at 2GB of RAM; Do you think that would be enough? I wanted to use a dedicated Mac for audio/visual/internet on my entertainment system, but I don't want to have to get a a super-powerful system just to playback video.

Thanks!