iTunes keeps crashing when syncing iPhone 4 - argh!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hermes Monster, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

My girlfriend and I both got ip4's yesterday and mine is working brilliantly..

My girlfriends however is not so great.. Every time she tries to sync it (music in this case), iTunes will sync a few songs and then crash... Every single time. Mine works fine though

Any ideas suggestions?

2. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

It's the latest iTunes, running on Vista btw and google has been fruitless so far

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Does it happen with a specific song. It could be a corrupted song file. Try one different playlists with different songs to see if that makes a difference.

4. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Originally it was sticking at the point of syncing Winnie the pooh iBook, so I removed that from iTunes and the phone, which allowed it to get on with the music. Then it was sticking on the fifth song, deleted a few of them but then just happens with whichever is the next song. Bear in mind, these same songs synced to mine without issue so I'm not sure any files are corrupt - the issue seems to be with the handset.. Hmmm

5. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

"all by myselllf, don't wanna be..."

No one can offer any advice? :( arse

6. Sharkzilla macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue--did you ever figure it out?

7. SteveP2000 macrumors newbie

It was the Bear

I was having the same with my wife's new iPhone4 this morning. It was fine when I did the initial activation Friday. iTunes froze up several times when it started doing the backup. I rebooted and then tried synching my 3G and it went fine. Plugged in the IP4 and itunes locked up again.

I did a search and found this post. The point about the Winnie the pooh iBook reminded me that I was unable to open the WTP book yesterday and when I looked again the little status indicator on the book cover was all black - like it had started to download but got nowhere. I switched to the 1x book view and it said that the book was downloading - obviously there is a problem with that book.

I deleted the iBook app from the iPhone (the phone itself) and the phone synched completely without a problem. My wife has a kindle and does not need the iBook app, but i'll probably try to reload and synch just to see if it causes the same issue. My guess is that the errant 'downloading' status caused the issue.

8. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had a similar problem when I first got my iPhone 4. Get to a certain song, podcast, etc, it crashed. Removed that file, it crashed on a new one. I restored the phone as new (I had at first set it up from an iPhone 3G backup) and the problem went away for a while.

Later when I synced the photo file (from my old 3G syncs) it started crashing again. I finally found that when I disabled the photo sync (from that old folder) it stopped crashing.

So I set it to sync photos from a new folder, and all is well.

YMMV

9. Bowchickawowow macrumors newbie

Video sync

I have found that if you uncheck include Videos under the PHOTO tab it will sync without crashing.
    Unfortunately, it won't download your videos but hopefully they will fix it with the next upgrade.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Had a couple of crashes when using windows 7 but no issues yet using Lion on the MBA.

11. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Not with an attitude like that, no. You can't even wait an hour before throwing in the towel... :rolleyes: