iTunes keeps opening by itself?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, Aug 26, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Pretty self-explanatory title...iTunes keeps opening itself. I close it and then 30 seconds later it opens again?! Any ideas?

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Have you got any widgets on the dashboard that use iTunes? That's normally a common culprit.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I do, but I've had it for ages and this problem only started today. I reset and it doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Weird tho....

Hey, greetings from Cardiff! :)

4. Millwood macrumors regular

I had that problem too for a while. Just went away by itself. Couldn't tell you how to fix it.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Got an iPod connected? If you have it set so iTunes opens when you connect your iPod, then it'll keep on re-opening even after you've closed it while your iPod is connected...

6. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Are you running any P2P programs (Lime/Frost)?

They automatically import your songs.

7. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I had this same problem not long ago and posted in this same forum.

How I solved the problem:
    1.- Got rid of the iTunes widget.

Last week I just happened to do a software update and installed the latest version of iTunes (7.3.2)...if you haven't, do so, it might solve the problem.

HTH

8. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

if none of the things mentioned above work you might check your plugins on firefox if you use it. there was one called foxytunes i had at one time and it kept opening itunes automatically. it allows you to play itunes through your browser, after a while i figured it out and just deleted foxytunes and problem went away. check for that as well...

9. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I'd bet my house that the widget is the issue. Get rid of it and see if it happens again.

10. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

FWIW, I had this problem once and traced it to the fact that I kept stepping on the "launch media player" button on my USB keyboard that was sitting on the floor beneath my desk.

11. siddercins macrumors newbie

Ok, so i've had the same problem. I boot up my mac pro: iTunes opens. I quit it, wait 5 seconds, opens again. And on top of that, if my computer goes to sleep, when I wake it up I find that iTunes has "unexpectedly quit" and when I hit ignore, it opens again. :mad:

- I am running 10.5.7
    - im not running the itunes widget
    - im not running any p2p

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Jalaska13 macrumors newbie

Killall

I have been having the same problem, and recently, I had iTunes and Terminal both open at the same time, so I figured I'd save myself the hassle of re-closing iTunes when it inevitably would open again, and I just typed:
    killall iTunes
    This, of course, worked, because it doesn't go through to normal quit scripts. However, when I opened up iTunes again, and then quit it, it stayed quit... and the next time... and the next time. It seems that all you have to do is open iTunes, open Terminal, run the command "killall iTunes", and you're home free!

13. jennyleighb macrumors newbie

This worked splendidly. Thanks so much!

14. Hutchison macrumors newbie

Delete and double letters

Okay, I'm having the issue but there seems to be a little more to it. iTunes only comes up if I use the delete key. In addition to that, certain keys are typing another letter when I press it. Such as if I type a s, it types fs simultaneously. Same with the v, it types vx. Then of course when I hit delete to get rid of the extra letter, it turns on iTunes and the next delete press makes iTunes play the first song in the list and then the next delete press and any additional, restarts the song. The delete button around the navigation buttons doesn't make it start. So trying to type killall iTunes in terminal doesn't work because I can't use the mouse key to get ahead of the f it types so iTunes is spelled correctly. Do not have a widget nor am I running any P2P. Any help, PLEAFSE!!!!!!

15. Craigriver macrumors newbie

The same thing happened on iTunes with me

Love your fix, it works about a year later too!