iTunes keeps putting muisc on MBP HDD instead of external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flakes8, Dec 26, 2009.

1. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

I changed the import settings and they keep changing back. I now want to move the music I purchased onto my external HDD where the rest of my library lives and take them off of my MBP HDD. I have copied them to my external HDD and they exist in the proper artist folder but how do I associate it with my iTunes library ?? Thanks

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You need to move the location of the iTunes Library itself.

Normally, the iTunes folder is stored in your Music folder. If this is not where you want it, first move the iTunes folder to your external.

Next, go into iTunes and into the iTunes menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen. Select "Preferences" and "Advanced". You'll see a section where it allows you to specifiy the location of the iTunes Music Folder. Click "Change" and select the folder stored on your external.

Click OK and you're done.

3. flakes8 thread starter macrumors regular

flakes8

I have all my music on the external which it reads from already but the new music appears on the MBP I have tried changing the settings already and it seems to not want to stick. I copied the iTunes folder from the MBP HDD and Pasted it into the external folder and deleted it on my MBP HDD this is where I am at now. I bring iTunes up and it reads as if there is no music. At this point I want to start from scratch and want to associate all of the music on my external HDD where I now have my songs I downloaded today as well as 15000 song that were already on my external HDD. I am new to mac but not itunes an have not run into this when on a pc. I THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Should I deauthorize this mac as well ??