Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
When did latest movie rentals cost 15pounds 99pence via iTunes /Ap4kt.v.
One or two movies look decent, rentals are costing purchase price, when did this happen.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Which movies, specifically?

With the closure of the cinemas a number of new releases are going direct to streaming at premium prices.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
These are Premium VOD rentals that are instead of the cinema release (which has been stopped because of Coronavirus) and are hence being charged at the rate of cinema release windows.

Four months or so from now they'll be available at regular rental prices.

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Thanks everyone, I thought it could have been an error, though I'm not one for Cinema Day Release.
Quiet content whenever cost settles as I like to mix Rentals with a carefully selected 4K purchase.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Is the bitrate diminished, ala netflix or youtube or amazon prime?

(The amazon ones are available at an inflated price too, in this case 20 dollars.)

kuruption

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Is the bitrate diminished, ala netflix or youtube or amazon prime?

(The amazon ones are available at an inflated price too, in this case 20 dollars.)
This is the key question, I get the extra cost due to being cinema release, but if they are then quality impacted that would be disappointing. Should be extra high quality.....

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
All of the Home Cinema rentals are HD, no 4k stream available. There may be reduced bitrates but it may be difficult to see the difference without a direct comparison between reduced rate and full rate.

Reactions: Donfor39

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
may be difficult to see the difference without a direct comparison between reduced rate and full rate.
Well, that's always the hope of the video compressionist, isn't it? But hopes are one thing and bandwidth limitations are another.

Reactions: Audit13

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Well, that's always the hope of the video compressionist, isn't it? But hopes are one thing and bandwidth limitations are another.
And many VOD services (Apple for sure, can not say about netflix or amzn) use variable bitrate technology. So even if they have a UHD copy, if network congestion does not allow for it, lower quality encode will be automatically used. And the other way around - if network allows, bitrate will be increased also automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.