itunes library a mess!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Jun 30, 2013.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I have been using itunes since v.1.0. Currently my itunes library consists of 288 gb of music!

Trouble is, there are quite a few duplicates... and when i peer in my music folder i find that there are two locations: "Itunes Media" and just "Itunes". Duplicates are found in both locations...

I would like to clean this up a bit, without risking my itunes organization / playcounts etc. what is the easiest way to do so?

Thanks for any help,

Richard

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may want to check out Dupin from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, which is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files. However, there are reasons why you may want to keep some duplicates. iTunes considers items duplicates if the song name and artist fields match. They may be from different albums, have different lengths or bitrates, be different file types, be live or studio versions, etc. There is no software that can make all those determinations for you. The safest method of dupe deletion is manual. With any other method, you run the risk of deleting something you didn't intend to delete.