iTunes library across multiple HDD's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuckd62687, Jan 21, 2008.

1. chuckd62687 macrumors member

My iTunes library is on an external 320GB Lacie drive and I have reached capacity. I have purchased an additional 320GB Lacie drive and am needing to split out my library amongst both HDD's. How can I get all of the content in my TV shows folder onto the new drive and get iTunes to recognize it?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Move the items in Finder and replace them in the original folder with aliases of the same name(s).

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Turn off the auto-adding of items to the iTunes library in iTunes preferences then just store them wherever you want and add them it iTunes: they'll stay where they are but get added to the iTunes database...

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Use disk utility to setup a raid and have OSX look at both drives as one 640Gb drive. I have leopard, but pretty sure you can do this in Tiger.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst this is a nice idea would this not delete the existing 320Gb of data?

6. chuckd62687 thread starter macrumors member

I have the same question. I would love to setup a RAID. Can I do it without losing my data?