iTunes Library - Age old issue - Have video stored on an external

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubc1313, Jan 2, 2011.

1. dubc1313 macrumors newbie

For OS X 10.6.5 & iTunes 10.1.1

I like having iTunes do its music organizing stuff (consolidate, organize, etc.), however, I want to be able to store my videos on an external HD. They are too large to store on my internal HD.

I have read endless forum posts about this, none of them are very recent, some even reference tiger. So what I am looking for is a way to successfully have iTunes look at my video files on my external, just like they were on my internal.

From what I have read there have been partial solutions with symbolic links and/or finder aliases. I will probably attempt either of those options. I am wondering if anyone has more recently come up with a good solution to this option?

Thanks in advance

2. EmmEff macrumors regular

You could probably (never tried, can't be bothered) import the videos as normal, move the files from the internal disk to the external disk and then create a symlink. I'm not sure if iTunes would be smart enough to handle this, but there's a good chance it might.

3. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

I mean just a question as to why not just having everything on your server and then you dont have an issue? I recently moved my library from my internal to the media server and even though consolidate took 10 hours (80GB of data), now everything works great. Phones sync fine. Not really any slower.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

If there's not enough room on your internal, why not move everything to the external drive? If you really want iTunes to do all your organizing, I think it all has to be on one drive.