iTunes - Library can't find music, though nothing has changed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chodite, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Got my iTunes Library reading from an external USB drive. Nothing has changed in months. Though just recently, for 90% of my songs - iTunes can't locate them.

I checked the directory where they've always been and they're still there. External drive is alive and kicking, connected to my Macbook.

This sucks because I've got a gajillion playlists. And my iPhone and iPad will no longer sync these playlists.

Suggestions/help?!

I'd really hate to manually have to re-do all of my playlists again.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Mac.Virgin101 macrumors member

I am having the same problem. Except its just my MBP no external drive. I looked at the iTunes Track CPR v1.3 but had trouble installing it (I'm a noob) and it didnt seem to help.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What happens if you shut down iTunes and then fire it back up? Make sure the external hard drive is connected first and is up and running before firing up iTunes.

5. Mac.Virgin101 macrumors member

Sorry to hijack the thread...I'm hoping me and the OP are after the same knowledge.

OK now I'm thoroughly confused. My Music folder has an iTunes folder, but nowhere can I find individual song titles or artists.

The Music>iTunes>iTunes Music folder is empty.

There is a iTunes Music Library file (.xml) in the Music>iTunes folder. When I open that it just opens iTunes.

Am I looking in the wrong place for my music? My music was recently migrated from another MBP if thats at all important.

I did install and am about to run the iTunes Track CPR v1.3 but it says in the readme not to run if:

"Note: You should only run this script if your audio files are in the "iTunes File Order":

designated Music folder > Artist folder > Album folder > file.exx"

Attached Files:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not sure where your music files are located, find one in your library that doesn't have the exclamation mark on it, right-click on it and select "Show in Finder". That will open the Finder folder where that track is located.
    You can also select "Get Info" and look at the bottom of the Summary tab.
    You can also simply do a search in Finder for music files.

7. Mac.Virgin101 macrumors member

Other than music that has been downloaded yesterday, I have yet to find one song that doesn't have an exclamation mark beside it.

I've searched through every folder imaginable and its like the whole library never existed. I'm completely stumped

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you searched your entire Macintosh HD for mp3s (assuming that's the format of your music) and nothing was found, then your music is gone from that drive.

9. Mac.Virgin101 macrumors member

Thanks for your input. I did search the entire HD and finally called Apple support. It was determined that my music was never transferred correctly.

Since the retailer had already wiped the loaner model I was using previously clean, Apple allowed me to download all my previous purchases. Problem solved for the moment.

Thanks again!:D