iTunes Library Damaged

Discussion in 'macOS' started by diane143, Nov 1, 2013.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

This is what I get for multi-tasking....

Sat down to do some work and hit the iTunes icon on my G4. I had been in it two nights ago, downloading a bunch of songs and syncing the iPhone. As a matter of fact, I was in it last night, putting new songs on the Shuffle too. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught it rebuilding. Figuring I had opened the wrong icon (I usually just plug in a device), I canceled it. I got a message saying my Library had been renamed to damaged and another created.

I plug the phone in, and I get a warning there are things on the phone missing from the G4. I tell it to transfer, and it gets stuck on an app. Cancel that and it goes on to the songs. They do transfer over, but I am missing all the new ones (I'm guessing they'll come back from the cloud at some point).

All my playlists are gone too, but not a deal breaker.

My most recent backup is a couple months old. Work keeps me from this machine this time of year so it doesn't get backed up as often.

The thing that ironically bothers me the most is the "Date Added" all says today.

I figured I could go back to my last backup and at least recover that field from those songs, and let the rest synce back from the cloud. But any iTunes or Library I open from the other drive says the same thing.

I also opened the one named Damaged hoping I could rebuild that again and not cancel it this time, but it does the same thing.

Thoughts? No idea why this happened. I've been using iTunes since it came out with zero issues.

I'm guessing I should re-sync my phone and iPad completely. Funny as I was considering a full phone backup to the computer so I could wipe and restore.

Thanks,
    Diane

2. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got it mostly sorted out. I took an Apple Support article and modified it a bit, using my old Library instead of importing the new one. I just made sure I copied and duplicated in case something else went wrong.

All I really lost were the Date Added for new songs I've bought since my last backup, and all the work I did fixing broken links not long ago. But better than what it was! Guess I'm going to have to back this up more often even when I'm not using it much.