itunes library data file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by comebackdwn, Nov 24, 2007.

1. comebackdwn macrumors regular

is it safe to delete this?

it is found in my itunes folder under previous itunes library. i have no clue what it is.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If it's in the folder 'previous iTunes libraries' then it's fine.

That file is where iTunes stores lots of information about your songs, for example the play count of a song, the date last played, and other information which can't be stored inside the actual song file itself. Playlists are also kept there...

As I say though, it's in your 'previous iTunes libraries' folder, so it should be fine to delete. Try deleting it, but don't empty the trash, and then open up iTunes. If everything seems normal, then you're safe. If not, then put the file back where it was and pretend nothing ever happened :cool:

3. comebackdwn thread starter macrumors regular

so basically...if i dont want to lose track of my play count and playlists and all that, then dont delete it...correct?

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Well if it's in 'previous iTunes libraries' then no it shouldn't have any affect. Think of it as an older 'archived' version of your library. It shouldn't be the one iTunes actually uses.

As I say, try trashing it, and then open iTunes. If all your playlists, play counts and other more complex information seems in-tact, then you can empty the trash (permanently removing the file) and nothing should come of it.

Your safest option is to leave it where it is, unless it's causing you grief...