iTunes Library defaults to HD

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Imacmatches, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Imacmatches macrumors newbie

Imacmatches

I have my iTunes library stored on my NAS. I have iTunes pointed to this library. However every time I run an update iTunes defaults the library back to my iMac HD which means I have to change the settings to point it back to my NAS. Why is it doing this? And how do I fix it? I initially thought it was because my NAS was set to sleep after 10 min of inactivity, but having changed that it still wants to default back to the HD.

DS411 NAS

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is iTunes's way of telling you that it can't find the location where you told it to look for its library. If you know the location is available and connected, try this tip: Hold Alt/Option when starting iTunes. It'll ask you for a library. Point it to your NAS.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You didn't transfer the iTunes Media Library correctly! See what I mean (you can't just copy as the iTunes Media Library anymore for a long time) by reading/watching the blog article How to move an iTunes library to an external drive.

Just make sure you are using the a CAT 6 private network setup to stream HD video without stuttering.