iTunes library defective: iTunes "empty", playlists gone, apps gone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pthitman, Oct 22, 2008.

1. pthitman macrumors newbie

Hi everybody!

This problem has been VERY frustrating....
    I'm waiting on my timecapsule so i haven't had the chance yet to backup everything, so iTunes decides to lose my library.
    As i wrote in the title everything's not where it was anymore...
    I can't sync my iphone since it will replace all my files with practically nothing and I'd really like my playlists back...

Questions:

Is there any way i can get my playlists etc back? iTunes replaced my iTunes library file with a file named "defective iTunes library". The "iTunes music library.xml" file is still there. I've read that the recovery can be done with this but not sure how.

If I cant get the playlists etc back, where are my iphone apps? What will happen if i connect the phone to my MBP?

Hope you guys have some solutions...would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Wirelessly posted (Newton: MessagePad 2100 (StrongARM; SA-110 162 MHz; CPU Newton OS 2_1 like Mac OS 9; en-us) Nethopper/101.01

Your Apps should be in user/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications folder.

I don't honestly know how to repair a damaged XML file, sorry.

3. pthitman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks at least now i know i still have my apps...

I 'uninstalled' itunes and downloaded a new version. I imported all my music and restarted to see if the problem was gone...
    but...after taking forever to import the itunes library.xml file, it once again said the library was defective and it would save it as ituneslibrary(defective).xml

What is the matter? How can i fix this? I'm hosting a party on saturday and really need this to work...

Also, I have some problems with Parallels...
    after I upgraded to Leopard it worked fine...it told me the operating system was too old but other than that absolutely no problem...
    the other day i try to start it and the window does open...but it automatically says 'stopped' and it closes again...

I'd be thankful for ANY kind of help!