iTunes Library disappeared after changing file name!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m1stake, Mar 21, 2010.

1. m1stake macrumors 68000

A few days ago I tried changing the name of the middle file in the top row (Currently "iTunes Lib", which is what I think it was originally). I opened iTunes last night and found that none of my music was there. Obviously iTunes is looking for THAT folder, but the name is different.

[​IMG]

What can I do to set this right? If I knew the original name of the file, I would try that. Thanks for your help.

2. captivator macrumors member

The original file is labeled "iTunes Library."

3. m1stake thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried, but it said that there is already a file with that name in the folder (Which there is, haha). I have it all on a hard disk at school, so this isn't a permanent problem.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Drag the file named iTunes Library out of the folder then rename iTunes Lib to iTunes Library. When iTunes opened without the iTunes Library file it created a new blank iTunes Library file.

5. m1stake thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks so much, that makes sense. Unfortunately I'm not in front of the thing right now, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I guess I may as well ask in this thread, how do I name my library for wireless sharing? That is originally what I was trying to do, but I didn't feel like looking it up. Live and learn. :eek:

6. captivator macrumors member

Oops, I didn't see that. :eek:

velocityg4's suggestion sounds correct.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

iTunes Preferences -> General -> Library Name field

8. m1stake thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey, I just wanted to confirm that all of the advice in this thread is accurate for future searchers. Thanks again!