iTunes Library Empty/EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE HOLDS ALL MUSIC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by browniepants, Mar 10, 2009.

1. browniepants macrumors newbie

My iTunes library was taking up WAYYYYY too much room on my MacBook Pro. So I just deleted all the music off of the hard drive, and transferred it to a 600 GB external hard drive.

Question (part 1): when i click to play a song and the pop up pops up that says, "Song cannot be found...would you like to locate it?" is there a way that i can locate multiple songs at once?

part 2: when this task of locating sogs is completed, will iTunes automatically locate the songs frm now on when i plug in the external hard drive?

PLEASE HELP ME:((

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Did you copy your *ENTIRE* iTunes folder? Or just the music in it. Because if you did copy the entire folder then start iTunes while holding down the "Option" key and then select the library file from your External Hard disk.

Oh and btw make sure the "Copy files to iTunes music folder" is not checked.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

For clarification, the part in bold only applies if the music isn't already inside the current 'iTunes Library'. This option means that iTunes will organise your music for you.

The proper way to move your iTunes files is to move your entire 'iTunes' folder inside 'Music' on your home folder to the new location. Then open iTunes with the 'Option' key held down.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's no way to locate multiple files at once.

Also be sure that every time you want to listen to music your external drive is on and plugged in, or else you'll get more of the little grey exclamation points.