ITunes library - export to PS3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GilesM, Jun 16, 2009.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

Hello all,
    I have a large iTunes library that I want to copy to my PS3 which has a new 320GB hard drive.

How can I get the data over to a USB drive (used for transfer) in a format useable by the PS3?

It seems that if I 'export' the library it makes a .xml file which would not be any use to the PS3.

If I follow the path to the actual files and copy them over it works, but the classifications (rock, pop, artist, album title) do not seem to copy across accurately.

Any ideas?

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Select all the files in your library, and drag and drop them onto the external hard drive. The PS3 can't read your iTunes library file, only the audio files themselves.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

yeah, the PS3 sucks at organization too, so copy all the artist folders from:
    HDD/Users/You/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

That way when copied to the PS3, you'll have everything separated by artist (if you want).

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Make sure the External HD isn't mac format (HFS) though. I couldn't get the mac formatted drive to show up when connected to my ps3.

5. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the replies, I have done as you suggested and it's almost right! There were around 900 songs that show up as 'unknown' on the PS3 but I will have to edit the classifications manually I guess on the PS3 itself.

Thanks for the help, almost made it right !

Now all I have to do is the same for my pictures (10,000 of them) and my movies.

It's going to be a long process. Perhaps I should have bought a Mac Mini as my media centre...:eek:

6. andrew.bussman macrumors newbie

I was doing the exact same thing when I ran into a problem with some song files not being able to be read by the PS3. It seems the system doesn't like certain AAC files, especially those purchased from iTunes. One work around is to convert these files to MP3s using an app such as NoteBurner (I personally recommend that one).

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

The PS3 is a terrible media center, so much potential but it's just not being taken seriously by sony

You can't play certain files, you can't create folders for organization, you can hardly do anything. That's why I'd rather use a FAT32 formatted External HDD (because FAT32 is the only file system PS3 Supports). And organize my stuff on the computer where it can be done properly.

8. knobtwiddler macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

You can transfer them wirelessly with MediaLink which will stream audio and video to your PS3.
    http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

Once you have Medialink working you just go to the medialink spot under music on your PS3, find the tunes you want, hit triangle and copy them.

Of course this does take having your PS3 connected to the internet through your computer's wireless router. Blue tooth may be possible but I'm not sure.