iTunes library from PC to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by generationxwing, May 2, 2007.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I just got my iMac, and I'll be swapping my iTunes tonight. I want to know if there's an easy way to transfer my library over, as opposed to starting from scratch. I'd like to keep playlists, play counts etc. If not I'll live, I was just wondering. Cheers!

2. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Can your entire library fit on your iPod?

If yes, use Senuti

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

When I switched I just copied my music to the mac, along with the library.itl file. I had to remove the extension, if I remember correctly. When I opened iTunes everything was there, play counts intact, etc.

Good luck!

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I bet you could do a little XML file hacking via search and replace to replace the Windows path-style to point to the correct Mac path to your music... there might even be a tool that does this. If not, that'd be smart.

There isn't a really easy way besides the iPod -> Senuti/iPodRip/some other "get my music off my iPod w/ playcounts and whatnot" software method already mentioned.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I actually like this idea, since I did something similar when I moved my library to another drive. Problem is, I have ZERO idea how the Mac drive structure/paths/etc work. I can easily take out the C:\docs and settings\etc\etc, but what would I replace it with? My library is already organized by iTunes, if that helps.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No need to go there. See the guide linked above. Replace the Mac XML file with the Windows one and it'll figure it out.

B

8. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

One reason I selected my backup software (iPod control) was that it had both Windows and Mac versions on the CD. I haven't yet tested the Mac version, as the license says I can only have it on one computer at a time, but I need to do so, as an essential part of backups is the test.

So I figure I will back-up one of these weekends, uninstall, and then restore to my wife's iMac. (Then uninstall the program on her machine, and reinstall on mine).

I probably won't be able to afford my Mac until Fall or later - it's hard to save up money during golf season.