Itunes library gone!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kiddnets, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kiddnets macrumors newbie

This happened once before - but I open my computer then Itunes and voila - my entire library is missing! WTF!

I go to the backup library and the latest backup is from 12/07 - so I am missing over a years worth of stuff.

My iphone is stocked with almost all the playlists as I had them

Is there anyway to fix this or has this happened before?

Thanks!

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Check your iTunes folder.

Windows: My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music
    Mac: Username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Is there anything in those folders?

Also, In the iTunes folder, there should be a file called iTunes Library. Try opening that.

3. kiddnets thread starter macrumors newbie

there is previous itunes library folder - in it is a library much closer - 10/08 - but i try to open it or import it and nothing happens. It is a ".itl" file -

any suggestions? Thanks!

4. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

5. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Try checking your trash can just to be safe. In the past, I had a friend that was messing around with my files and accidentally moved my iTunes Library to the trash. And the worse part is that I deleted it without even knowing. Dont let that happen to you if that is possibly the case.

I had to use this following app to get the music off of my iPod and get it back on my Mac.

http://www.downloadatoz.com/ipod-to-mac-transfer/

6. kiddnets thread starter macrumors newbie

used a 4media for ipod transfer to get my tunes from my ipod back to my computer - i did it at work and it kept my playlists and everyhthing - I do it here and i just get it all in one playlist topic (4media 2/21/09) - anyone deal with this before- I have like 60 playlists Id rather not have to go back and do.

Finally - I now have lots of dupes on my computer - any easy way to clear them out on the hard drive?

thanks!

7. kiddnets thread starter macrumors newbie

Ifit wasnt so painful it would be funny - spent hours putting together some of my fave playlists and the darn thing cleared out again! Unbelievable - nothing happened of notice - just turned on my computer and all my stuff in itunes was gone! LOL - must be cursed!