iTunes Library has missing links

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Craig Christ, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Craig Christ macrumors member

Alrighty, So my iTunes Library is somewhat messed up. I used to have it on an external drive since I needed the hard drive space plus I thought it would be a good backup location. I upgraded my laptops HD since and moved copied my music back to the laptop.

I then changed the location of my iTunes Music folder in iT preferences. But not before not realizing that it wasn't the exact foler. I needed to point one deeper. So I realize the problem and now my tunes work. but about 1/3 of my Library points to an invalid location for some reason. Seems to be all the ones that tried (unsuccessfully) play prior to my catching the problem.

Is there a way I can get all the invalid files (ones with !) to point to the same location as the rest of them? I recently imported like 20 albums as well that are in the old (wrong) location, any way to move them with the other ones without breaking the link?

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest moving all the files to the correct location by hand. You may be able to fix this by using the "Consolidate Library" feature which should move all file to under your library folder. It may ask to search for the missing files. If it does, then everything should be all clear. If not, you will have to move everything to the right folder and try again.

It would have been easier if you had left your library on the external drive, then changed the iTunes Library location and then used "Consolidate Library", it would have handled everything.

TEG

3. Craig Christ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I wasn't sure what consolidating the library was. I still have the files intact on the external drive. All I have to do is plug it back into my airport and mount the volume then I'll consolidate. Need to clear some space off the HD first though :cool:

Thanks for the info.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

You might also check Doug's apple scripts for iTunes. There's one called "iTunes Track CPR." Folow the instructions carefully and it works great for the !'s.

Always back up everything before you try anything.;)

Edit: Re-read your post. Move the items to the correct location, then use the CPR apple script.