iTunes library in trash, can't get out...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SarahP, Sep 6, 2008.

1. SarahP macrumors newbie

Ok, I thought it would be a good idea to put my iTunes library in the trash, trying to see if moving a copy of the library to my external hard drive would allow me to clear them off of my computer. I have no more room on my startup disk, and I am working on cleaning out my computer. Every movie, photo, and extra file has been relocated to the external hard drive, and I've gone on an application-killing spree.

So...my iTunes are in the trash, but I can't get them out without copying them to iTunes, which can't be done because I don't have enough space. I can't free up space until I can empty the trash, which I can't do because my iTunes are in there!

There you go, Sherlocks. I would greatly appreciate your help and experience. Thank you!

2. avingochea macrumors member

I really don't understand your problem... care to rephrase?

EDIT: Ok, from what I understand you have a copy of your itunes library on an external HDD and the original in the trash. If you want to run itunes off your external, you could change the settings of itunes in: itunes preferences>advanced tab where it says iTunes Music folder location. Change that to the location on your external. Then empty your trash...

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So you put the whole music folder in there? Why not just drag it back to the music folder in your home folder?

4. SarahP thread starter macrumors newbie

I exported the library, before deleting it, to the external hard drive.

Then, I closed iTunes and opened the library from the external, and my library showed up.

Then, I deleted the library.

Then, I repeated step #2, and my library was empty.

I am trying to move/drag/copy/paste the files (days' worth) back into iTunes, but there is not enough disk space. Instead of cut/pasting the files, my computer is moving-copying them, which it doesn't have enough free space to do.

Thus, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I'm moving the library to free up disk space.

Thank you for the responses!

5. SarahP thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I might have it, but I need to know one thing: How can I, after selecting multiple files, move those files by dragging them? When I click on them after selecting them, no matter what I push (control, apple, etc.), they all de-select...

6. avingochea macrumors member

Did you change the iTunes Music folder location in your iTunes preferences?
    Change that, then erase everything in your iTunes.app, once you erase everything in itunes and have changed the preferences take the folder with your iTunes music, and videos and dump it in iTunes. It should just load it into itunes since you changed the location of the library in the preferences.

7. avingochea macrumors member

It should be done the same as windows. What are you trying to move?

8. SarahP thread starter macrumors newbie

The preferences won't recognize the iTunes archive/export file I have on my external, so I can't switch iTunes to grab the library from there.

I don't have Windows, so that's sort of irrelevant, but I get what you're saying. It should work the same way.

I'm trying to move the music files from the trash to the external hard drive, manually (rather than exporting like I did), and right now I'm doing it one at a time because I can't select and move multiple files.

Thanks!

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So you exported your entire library (including the library files) to the external, why not just copy the whole iTunes folder there? That way, you start iTunes holding option, and it will ask you to choose a library. Choose it from the external and everything should be fine.

10. avingochea macrumors member

Oh I see, Ok the way I've done it numerous times is to just straight up move the library to the external then I just erase the one on my computer, I erase everything on the iTunes application, and just add it again to itunes from the external after changing the preferences in iTunes to the folder on the external.

When you export your library, your just exporting a list of all the songs. Your aren't exporting the actual songs. Try the way I explained. As for moving files just drag them by one of the icons you have selected... I wouldn't understand why you couldn't just drag them that way...

11. SarahP thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you so much for all of the help, even though a good read through my problem would prevent some of the responses. Yes, I've tried to move, no it doesn't work because Macbot has to COPY the files to move them. No room for copy. I did figure out how to drag multiple files, which doesn't matter now because I'm in this bind with no space and files in trash.

I have just ordered a 500G external hard drive, and I will be trying to move my files from trash to that when it gets here. My problem is I have a huge cluster**** on my computer, leaving me with no space, missing parts to applications, and a desperate need for the soothing voice of a Mac expert.

I will let you know what happens with this line of attack!

12. SarahP thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh honey, if only I had a time machine. Why can't I just drag them? First, I didn't know how (I learned you have to drag by the icon, not the file names). Second, mac has to COPY the files to drag them, which I do not have a crumb of space for.