iTunes library issue on new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by new iMac user, May 12, 2009.

1. new iMac user macrumors newbie

just picked up a new iMac last night after Apple spent the weekend doing the data transfer of my pictures and music. When I got into iTunes and tried to play music, I get a prompt that says that the file is not found and that I have to locate it?

I ensured that the computer was authorized but this does not solve the problem. Any suggestions on insights here as to what is required?? I really had hoped that the work Apple did would make this a seamless transition but it appears not.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Clarifying a bit....

So iTunes does open correctly, and you do have music listed in there. But when you click on a song to play it, that's when the prompt appears, correct?

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

strange, if an apple store did it, they should not have screwed something like that up.

We'll probably need more info, as the above poster asked. If you get an "!" next to the songs as the message pops up, then the iTunes library is pointing to files that don't exist. This doesn't mean your music isn't there, it just means it is looking in a certain spot, and the music is not in that particular spot.

Check your "Music" folder to see if there is an "iTunes" folder, then check if there is an "iTunes Music" folder inside there.

HDD/Users/yourname/Music/iTunes
    HDD/Users/yourname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Inside the "iTunes Music" folder should be the actual files organized in different folders, just check to see if they're there. Do not delete, edit anything, just verify that the music is there.