Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsefer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
In the past month my iTunes Library (running iTunes 9.0.2 on Snow Leopard 10.6.2) has caused major lockups for my entire system. If I leave iTunes running, it will eventually lock up. I usually Force Quit and then try to reopen it but I usually get a dialog saying the library is locked. If I force quit and try to shut down, the shutdown never completes and I have to do a hard restart. I have read many suggestions that say to rename my library xml file. That didn't work. Eventually iTunes suggested they create a new one for me, which I did but that didn't solve anything. I also tried to install a new copy of iTunes with no luck. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

If it makes a difference, I have a fairly large library of around 5,500 songs, roughly 50 iPhone apps, some movies, tv shows, podcasts, etc. If at all possible I would like to preserve the library as is because I have spent many many hours organizing and tagging it properly.

Sorry if this issue has been posted somewhere else. I looked and couldn't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
In the past month my iTunes Library (running iTunes 9.0.2 on Snow Leopard 10.6.2) has caused major lockups for my entire system. If I leave iTunes running, it will eventually lock up. I usually Force Quit and then try to reopen it but I usually get a dialog saying the library is locked. If I force quit and try to shut down, the shutdown never completes and I have to do a hard restart. ..

Do you have good backups of everything? Seems that you might be having a hardware problem.

rsefer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I have a Time Capsule so I have hourly backups. If it was a hardware issue, wouldn't it affect more than just itunes? I've never had that problem with any other program, at least not on a consistent basis.
With that said, I spilled on my keyboard in September and had to have that and the I/O board replaced. After repair it worked beautifully until this issue came up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.