Itunes Library. Keep Playlist On Mac Hard-Drive. Rest of Library On External.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GCWB, Sep 1, 2010.

1. GCWB macrumors member

Hi, I've been searching high and low for an answer to this question. I'm not the type to usually go onto a forum and ask the question because I can usually deduce it myself.

My Current State
    Basically, currently I have all my music on my Time Capsule. Which I use as an external hard-drive attached to my network.

However NEW music that I download (the last months worth), Stays on my Mac.

So my library is made up of Mac Music, and External Hard Drive music. In one.

What I want.
    I want it so my playlist (Top Rated) will all be organised into a file on my mac. Thus the music files would be local, and when I am travelling, I'll only have my favourite music with me.

However I want the rest of my music to automatically sync up with my Time Capsule and be left there with no copies on my mac.

How can this be done?

Regards,
    George

p.s. I want to emphasise how the target is to make this an automated process. If only itunes continued to develop eh? sigh.

edit: My only ideas so far is to use some kind of synchronisation software whilst utilising iTunes to 'watch' folders. I'm not entirely sure.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Definitely just wait and see what today's event brings before you try anything. We could get iTunes in the cloud for all we know. ;)

B

3. GCWB thread starter macrumors member

Ahh I know, that is a good point. Damn my impatience. Damn me to hell.

4. GCWB thread starter macrumors member

Rightio, Apple failed to perform in their conference... so what's the solution? :) lol.

p.s. I am totally getting that sweet ass apple TV. Just because its so damn cheap and small! Itunes 10 doesn't seem to be giving me much, other than Ping. Microsoft will not be happy!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you know about the Option-click thing in iTunes? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589

IMHO keep one main library with all your music on the Time Capsule, and extract what you want from that into another library for on the go. Probably best to just use a smart playlist and have that copied over on some regular basis by a script.

B

6. GCWB thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I realised I was getting way too technical, the direction I was going would have worked... but alas, it just wasn't practical!

Anyhoo, I remembered Doug's Scripts from when I DeDuped my library, and low and behold! He has some perfect solutions for my problem. Perfect Automatic solutions. Which is key, because I don't have time to organise my library, I want my library to organise it.

Yeah, I know about that, but that means your managing two different libraries. Which in a sense... I could do if I doubled up my 'new' files... but yeah. Not worth the manual hassle.

Cheers for the help balamw! Much appreciated. :D Let's hope iTunes takes the Spotify route ASAP.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, I actually like iTunes taking care of things for me so I don't like any approach that breaks my simple do it all for me approach.

I was thinking Doug's scripts when I wrote my last reply, but didn't say so explicitly.

In case anyone else comes looking, can you say which scripts you found and come back and let us know how they work for you down the line.

B

8. GCWB thread starter macrumors member

Yeah Course! It would be my pleasure.

Right, the below scripts are what I plan to use. I don't plan to use them all, I will eventually choose one (or two) to do what I set out to do above.

1) Move Playlist To Folder 2.3 Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Move Playlists to Folder v2.3
    2) Sync Playlist Files to Folder Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Sync Playlist Files to Folder v
    3) Itunes Library Manager Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ iTunes Library Manager v5.3

I am actually continuing to try and achieve what I want. If you want an iTunes challenge and think you ARE the man, or if you simply think your situation needs more explaining (and is relevant or very similar to mine) then check out my follow up post over at iLounge. http://forums.ilounge.com/itunes-ma...ry-when-80-just-linked-files.html#post1381409 Where I am still pursuing my answer.