Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hello!

So my Mac Pro has two different drives at the moment: a SSD, which is also my boot drive, and a normal HDD. Back when I bought the SSD, I had decided that my iTunes library should be on the HDD, rather than the SSD. So that's where I installed it.
In fact, when I go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, the path to the library is /Volumes/Macintosh HDD/Musik/iTunes/iTunes Media.

So far so good. The problem is, when I go to Username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media I can find the same library there. And I am wondering, how is this possible? First I thought they may be aliases, but they don't look like aliases, and they take up a good number of gigabytes that I would need on that SSD.

Why did it not work to have my iTunes library on my HDD? Has it maybe something to do with synchronising devices also?

Basically, I'd like all music I add to the library to land on the HDD, and all apps that are copied from my iPad or iPhone through iTunes to be copied on that HDD as well.

Can anyone help?

Thank you a lot. :)

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Check iTunes preferences to see where your used library is located.

In fact, when I go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, the path to the library is /Volumes/Macintosh HDD/Musik/iTunes/iTunes Media.

:p

Macintosh HDD is the name of my HDD (not SSD therefore, which is my boot drive, the place where I don't want to have it basically).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Ah, totally missed that!

But in that case, you should be able to delete the SSD iTunes folder. I would recommend you double check that you hae everything on the HDD though.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Ah, totally missed that!

But in that case, you should be able to delete the SSD iTunes folder. I would recommend you double check that you hae everything on the HDD though.

Thanks, I was able to delete those on the SSD and everything still works! I wonder why they were there in the first place. I've had them on the HDD since the beginning. Also I had a podcast I had downloaded not too long ago on the SSD, even though the settings in iTunes were set to have the library on the HDD. I tried to download another podcast now and it did download to the HDD. Everything seems to work now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.