iTunes library missing 1.2 GB of music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by somerley, Apr 16, 2011.

1. somerley macrumors newbie

All my music is located in my Music folder which Finder tells me is 26.34 GB. When I'm in iTunes though, iTunes says I have 23.21 GB of music. Even subtracting the 1.54 GB of apps stored in my Music folder, there's still about 1.2GB unaccounted for. Any idea what that could be? I've checked that there aren't any duplicates floating around. The strange thing is that on my Windows computer before I transferred the music over, the file size in iTunes and in the folder matched. I admit that I did a really messy job of migrating the iTunes folder (iTunes created duplicates which I then went and manually deleted), could this be a reason?

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

try if this script can help:

Music Folder Files Not Added v2.0

This application will list the file paths of the files in your designated "iTunes Media" folder which are not in iTunes' library.
    Additionally, you can select a different parent folder and its contents will be compared to the iTunes library.
    Options to Add a selection of found files to iTunes or move them to the Trash.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Actually, if you're using Snow Leopard (10.6), Finder reports the file sizes in Base 10, while iTunes reports it in Base 2. Basically there is a difference in the way iTunes and the Finder in Snow Leopard reports filesizes, and the Finder says things are bigger than they are in iTunes.

The situation is analogous to:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Hard_Drive_Size_Discrepancy

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

That's interesting to know, thanks. I guess I didn't notice because I have Finder set to use base 2 :p

5. somerley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That looks like it'll be pretty useful.

I'm thinking that it's probably because of the base 2/10 discrepancy. Is there a reason for that, or for why you would set Finder to use different bases?