Itunes Library move?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macdave121, Feb 22, 2008.

1. macdave121 macrumors newbie

I know that you can move the itunes library onto a new mac by just copying the whole folder into the library folder on Mac HD.

Is there any way i can move the music without bringing the track/album ratings and playlists?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes dont move the whole "iTunes" folder… move the "iTunes Music" folder inside it. the playlists, song counts etc are stored in the library files.

3. macdave121 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i tried moving the itunes music folder before. when i moved it into my iTunes folder it didnt load any music into iTunes when it launched.

4. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I copied the entire Music folder when I backed up my Mac, that worked perfect for me.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

set the music location in iTunes' preferences under Advanced.

6. macdave121 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok right i didnt think of that. i thought it would be ok since its in the iTunes folder.

7. macdave121 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried all the above last night. moved the iTunes music folder inside the iTunes folder and went to the advanced pane. open iTunes but the music wasnt there.

8. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

You could try the following: Choose "Add to library" and navigate to the iTunes music folder. You could test it first with just one album. Maybe it will create duplicates on the hard drive. If it doesn't, add the whole folder.

9. macdave121 thread starter macrumors newbie

well yes i did do that. then album and artists weren't arranged properly. and i was nervous that in the future i might have a problem with the iTunes folder structure in general.
    so in the end i just did what apple wants people to do and moved the while iTunes folder and of course that works fine.

but it would have been nice if the iTunes Music folder worked.