iTunes library moving dilemma!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fallinangel, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

Hello,

When I get my new iMac in a few days, the iTunes application is going to be installed on the SSD, whereas the music library is going to reside on the 2 TB internal HDD!

Currently, iTunes and its music library are on the exact same 2 TB HDD in my current iMac, and I also have a backup of the entire drive (including the iTunes library) on an external HDD.

How can move my entire library without changing the location of my media folder in the preference pane of iTunes?
    Using the moving feature of iTunes won't be an option, since the SSD won't be big enough to accomodate my entire music library (65k+ songs) in the first place, so it wouldn't find any files to move!

On the other hand, starting a new library isn't an option either, since I really want to preserve my song ratings, play count and playlists.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Take a read of this article. I followed it recently, and I now have iTunes on the internal SSD and the media on a standard hard drive.

3. Fallinangel thread starter macrumors regular

Fallinangel

I've read the guide, but it advises against the sole method that's viable for me.
    Could you explain please?

4. Meriana macrumors member