iTunes Library Mysteriously Deletes Itself

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by katharrine, Sep 11, 2008.

1. katharrine macrumors newbie

And I have no back up.

I am so confused! Just a few days ago I was watching my purchased iTunes version of Zoolander and listening to my music. Today, NONE of these files can be found.

A few facts:
    - I don't have my music backed up
    - My music is all on my computer HD, not an external.
    - I used Mac Helpmate a few days ago (can't remember if it was before iTunes was last functioning) and it cleaned some stuff.
    - Nothing in my Trash but I probably emptied it recently, too.
    - I use iTunes 7.
    - Spotlight search shows NO relevant searches. The files are all gone. It's as if they never existed. No folders, no music files, no previous libraries, nothing.
    - HD says there's 40 some GB available when I should have far less. The music files are gone. Gone. Gone.

I'm pretty angry that this could even happen. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it something that I did? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

sounds like you accidentally deleted them. There's almost no way, unless you downloaded and launched a malicious apple script, that your computer did it itself.

3. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I sincerely feel bad for you because I know the pain... but NO backup?! I hope this can at least be a good lesson to you...

There are lots of good backup options these days that don't take much effort...

4. katharrine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah trust me, I'm no longer using my External HD for movies over backing up now. :p Too bad I learned this lesson a few weeks ago when I accidentally deleted my /private folder but I couldn't back anything extra up because my External is in Socal and I'm in Norcal.

*sigh* Oh well, I must've accidentally deleted them somehow. Thanks for the feedback. :) I was just wondering if perhaps anyone else had encountered a similar phenomenon.

5. kalex macrumors 65816

superduper or carbon copy, use them. drives are cheap so no reason not to have one