iTunes Library on a NAS drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eliteAndrew, Feb 17, 2008.

1. eliteAndrew macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have an iBook and of course the storage isn't vast. I have found that is is becoming that it isn't event sufficient for my iTunes library so I decided to start using my NAS drive for storage. Thing is it doesn't always work!

When I add my tunes everything is fine. If I put my lappy to sleep it is still fine.
    If I restart Mac OSX then mount the NAS drive again I get a problem with iTunes complaining that it can't find the song file.

Is there any possible thing I can do to prevent this?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Could be the (dire) speed of the NAS and that it takes time for the mac to grind through the linked files to see if they exist. I presume you aren't using something like an Infrant ReadyNAS but a more basic NAS?

3. AndyC macrumors member

I do the same thing with my macbookPro, As well as adding the music from my NAS i also changed the itunes music location to that of my NAS. It seems to have sorted the problem, however you still need to make sure the macbook is connected to the NAS drive otherwise it will not find the music.

I do not know if there is a way to automatically reconnect the network drives.

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

How are you connecting to the NAS drive? Wired or wireless?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is there any chance that iTunes is starting before the drive is fully mounted? My iTunes acts the same way when that happens. Closing/reopening it fixes it for me.