iTunes library on an external hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IrishSwitcher, Apr 25, 2010.

1. IrishSwitcher macrumors newbie

After (too) many years as a PC user I've finally made the switch to Mac, in fact I'm typing this on my new 13" MacBook Pro.

I've literrally only started using this so need some quick advice.

I currently have my iTunes library, music, apps, movies, etc. on an external HDD that I just plug into whatever PC I'm using at the time and sync my iPod/iPhone off it whilst there. I want to transfer all this onto the HDD of this MacBook, and use the external drive as my Time Machine drive.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, you just add them to iTunes (check that "Copy song to iTunes library when added" is checked from iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced), then check that they really are there from user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Then delete them from the external HD and open Time Machine and select it as TM backup drive

3. IrishSwitcher thread starter macrumors newbie

But wont just copying the songs across save them under a brand new library file?

I want to avoid this as obviously my iPhone is set to work with the library file on the external hdd.

Apologies if I have misunderstood this and just added an extra layer of complexity to your solution!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It doesn't matter where the songs are located but it's easier if you just do what I said.

What iPhone library file is in the ext HD? All music will be the same but they are just in different folder, all music will be synced to iPhone normally.

5. IrishSwitcher thread starter macrumors newbie

The entire library is on the external, including the .itl file.

When I connect the external to a PC, I hold shift/alt as I click the iTunes icon and then point it to the external drive instead of it looking for an iTunes library locally.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't really get what you are aiming for...

Do you something else than music in there too? If you do as I said in my first post, all music will be copied into iTunes Music folder where they are still easily accessible.

7. IrishSwitcher thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my iPhone apps, movies and music on the external drive.

The external isn't a back up, the external is my entire iTunes life!

I want to switch from using the external constantly to having everything locally on this MacBook

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So it's a copy of your iTunes library? Just add them to iTunes and it'll make the folders as I have said many times. Or copy the whole iTunes library from your external to user/Music/iTunes