iTunes library on flash drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Big Shisha, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Big Shisha macrumors member

I've got a MBP which I mainly use for video editing and as such I want to keep as much free memory as possible on. I have an iTunes collection of about 30GB on my old macbook which I would like to move over.
    I can pick up a 64gb flash drive for about £30. The idea is that I can keep the drive in my laptop bag and plug in when needed.

Has anyone done this before? Good idea or bad idea? Obviously backups would be needed due to the possibility of losing a USB drive, but that's not a problem.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

This is super dooper easy to do, I personally store my iTunes library on an external USB RAID array (Mac doesn't have eSata, so I am stuck with USB).

1. On the old computer, navigate to ~/Music/iTunes.
    2. Copy the entire iTunes folder to the flash drive.
    3. Mount the flash drive on the new Mac.
    4. Open iTunes, and hold : option : as you boot it up.
    5. iTunes will ask to locate a non-standard copy of the library, navigate to the flash drive and open the iTunes Library.XML.

That should be it! From now on, every time you open iTunes it will automatically try to open from the flash drive.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

All my large media subfolders (documents, music, pictures, movies) will all be on an external RAID 1 set. The only data I will carry around is calendars, mail inboxes, notes, ..etc. If I need to show a specific document or presentation, then it will be copied to the rMBP's SSD.