iTunes Library on multiple hard drives.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miksterman, Dec 10, 2009.

1. miksterman macrumors member

Is it possible to tell iTunes to use multiple hard drives store the iTunes Library on? I'm asking because my movie library is growing quickly and I don't want to fill up the same drive my OS is on. If anybody knows can you tell me how it's done? Thanks

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Did you want to have different parts of the library on different drives? Or the whole thing on a separate drive?

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yes and no.

You can have your iTunes media scattered throughout any number of drives/locations, but your iTunes Music/Media Folder can only be set to one location at a time.

The iTunes Music/Media folder will be used for when you download stuff from the iTunes store, or when you rip CD's. By keeping the "copy files to iTunes music folder" option unticked, then whenever you add a file to the library on your own, it will not be added to the iTunes Music/Media folder. It will stay in its current location.

4. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

I was wanting to be able to put the music and part of the movies on one hard drive and be able to more movies on another drive as the movie library grows.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

In theory you should be able to move all your movies to another drive and still allow iTunes to manage it. You wouldn't be able to pick which movies its all the movies or nothing. As they are all stored in the same folder.

6. suss2it macrumors regular

^Well actually he could consolidate certain movies to different hard drives.

7. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

put them where you want

You can put them wherever you want. My movies and music is spread out on 6 drives. The library is just a database of info on the files.
    tho the library file itself needs to reside under your user account. You just have to use the "Add To Library" command to tell iTunes where to find it.