iTunes Library on NAS - How do I add files from MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Resulto, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Resulto macrumors newbie

I have the vast majority of my iTunes library on a NAS device. When I first got my MBP I set the library's location to the folder that I had moved off one of the desktops to the NAS. Everything works fine.

However, it seems that the library location will reset itself to the local location on the MBP (possibly whenever I run iTunes when I'm not on this network). So, if I add files to the iTunes when I'm not on this network, they get placed into the local library. That's all well and good, but my question is:

How can I offload the files from my local library to the main library residing on the NAS?

My goal is to be able to keep all the media files on my NAS and be able to delete them from the MBP.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Seems like your NAS is not coming online fast enough. If the remote location can't be seen, iTunes helpfully resets itself to the default accessible location for the files.

It's probably not an uncommon problem on cheap, low-speed NAS's. I would e.g. attempt to access a file on the NAS before you crank up iTunes.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Make sure the correct location is shown in iTunes -> Preferences ->Advanced, then click File -> Library -> Consolidate Library.

You could also just move the files to the NAS, delete them from the local machine, and then point iTunes to the correct location when it says it can't find the file.