iTunes library on new iphone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinTexan1, Mar 2, 2016.

1. AustinTexan1 macrumors newbie

So I have never had an iPhone, only an ipod touch. I have an iTunes account with 100's of purchased songs and CD's I uploaded to it. I got an iPhone yesterday and as soon as I clicked on Music, all the purchased songs were there and able to be played right away. QUESTION: If I click play on these songs, is it using data / wifi to stream it ? I don't see how it could have downloaded all of those actual files so quickly.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

That's correct - you will be using data/wifi to stream it.

What you see is "iTunes in the Cloud" - all your iTunes purchases appear in the Music app. You have a choice to either stream it (preserving space on the iPhone), or to download it once and save it on the phone to save data usage in the future (tap the cloud-with-down-arrow icon to download).

You can sync your iPhone to the computer that has your iPod Touch's library in order to transfer the music from CDs (and iTunes) to the iPhone (just as if it was that iPod Touch). Or, you could subscribe to either iTunes Match or Apple Music - both of those services will scan the iTunes Library on your computer and duplicate it in the cloud (including the CD music), where it'll show up in the iPhone's Music app - again, you can either stream it or download it to the iPhone.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

If all his music was purchased through iTunes he wouldn't have to sync via his computer or sign up for Match/Apple Music.

Purchased songs/albums can be directly downloaded off the cloud without having to plug into a computer or sign up for any additional services.

4. AustinTexan1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both very much for your replies.....extremely helpful for a noob. I'm thankful that people read these and offer help / advice. I think I will go to a forum in which I have expertise and pay it forward / back now !