iTunes Library on SD Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jbolt, Aug 28, 2011.

1. jbolt macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I have almost 64 GB of music in my iTunes Library on my MacBook Air and I am looking to temporarily store it on an 64GB SD card until iCloud comes out so I am not taking up so much of my SSD space. I do have the 256 GB SSD btw, but need the space for work related projects.

I was wondering if this is possible to do this so you can just store and play your music from the 64GB SD card. I know it will stick out, but I am okay with that as it will just be temporary. Also is there a recommended reliable brand that I could get? Thanks!

2. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

It's possible. I would recommend Kingston or Sandisk SD card.

Alternatively, you could use a Flashdrive/Thumbdrive too but that would stick out even more.

3. brand, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

brand macrumors 601

brand

They actually make USB flash drives that are designed to be left plugged in and protrude very little. A card left in the SD slot sticks out further and is more susceptible to damage than one of these types of USB flash drives. They are ideal for this type of need. Several companies make them.

[EDIT]Corrected the auto-correction mistake. I seem to have to do that a lot but yet I still leave it enabled.

4. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

Had no idea such technology existed. It's been so long since I used flash drives or SD cards.

5. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR2-32GB-Na...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3cba73ea9c

6. jbolt, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

jbolt thread starter macrumors newbie

Is Flash USB faster that SD? I usually use up both of my USB ports so I wanted to take advantage of my SD card slot. I only plan to keep the SD card in while listening to music, but mainly just want to store my iTunes library on it.

----------

I didn't know they had USB Flash Drives that small. Do they have 64GB option? I saw something similar to that, but it was for a mouse.

Also, how does it work? It looks like you plug the MicroSD card in the the USB port end that goes in the computer.

7. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not exactly what I was referring to but it's the same type of idea. The one I was talking about the USB flash drive would just have the flash memory built in and not changeable like this. I have been wanting to get one like the one you linked to for a while now to see how well it works. All of my cards are SDHC or SDXC though so I would have to but microSDHC cards.

You are correct.

9. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I don't really know how...I've never used one. I guess that the micro SD card slides in, then viola, you have a 32GB micro drive. I don't know if they come in 64GB, but at that price, you're probably better off getting a 64GB flash drive. It'll be bigger, but about the same price for double the capacity.

heck, with a 64GB flash drive to use with it, the base 11/2/64 MBA model looks a lot more appealing.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

If you don't care about fast internal storage.

11. jbolt thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks guys for the responses. I now might just get a 64GB Flash Drive

12. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

yes, data on the SSD can be accessed at a much higher speed in terms of MBps, but I don't think a flash drive is all that slow either. :) It's adequate for media, like an iTunes library.

13. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

i think the reads are faster on a flash card but booting from it and writes would be slower. im sure you can store your itunes library on one.... its what i do! i just want to know if those 128gb ones are real!

14. LordVic macrumors 601

Typically for programs and such, you would

But for things like music and video library? why not. the USB2 standard and memory sticks from even 5 years ago have more than enough bandwith to load and play most typical media formats without bottleneck.

You wouldn't want to use this method for constantly transfering large ammounts of data. But for a simple media drive? GO FOR IT.
    heck, I use my wireless network for my mp3 collection over itunes with an itunes server, and there is never any bottleneck fo the music.

15. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers