Itunes library on seperate drive - itunes sometimes moves thing to home folder...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have a Mac Pro. I have a 1TB drive I use as my iTunes library. In iTunes, I have the library set to /volumes/hard_drive/iTunes Library/.

I drag media to iTunes, and it adds it to the iTunes library on that drive. So I can then delete the original source.

But seemingly at random, iTunes will create a ~/Music/iTunes in my user home folder (where it would be if I didn't change the iTunes prefs).

What is up with this? By the dates on the folders, it seems to have just done this from Dec 4th to Dec 12th.

Why would this be? So now my library is split between 2 locations. I can go through and fix this, but I never know when it has happened, and I want to prevent it in the future.

Ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does that when it can't find the external drive. Make sure the external drive is mounted before you launch iTunes to avoid this. Or split your library, with part on the local drive (set as your iTunes Media folder in Preferences), and the remainder on the external drive.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

It's a Mac Pro, they're all internal drives. And, I never reboot or sleep it, so all the drives are mounted 100% of the time. I only restart when there is a OS X update.

I suppose that a drive can unmount due to some sort of error?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, I missed that part of your post. The drives are likely mounted, as you said. The only thing I can suggest is to set your iTunes Media folder to your home folder, then add music from the other drive(s) where the music is stored. This way, if it can't find music files, the worst that will happen is you'll get those exclamation marks in your library, which can be usually cleared by quitting and restarting iTunes. At least the home folder won't be changed.