iTunes library options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaseman, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jaseman macrumors newbie

I have recently bought a new MacBook Pro. I currently have a Mac Mini with an external HDD that contains my iTunes music library to use with my iPod. On the Mac Mini I keep my library on the external HDD so as not to fill up its own HD.

Now I have a laptop I now need to transfer my iTunes library to that. I would like to continue using my external HDD for my library so I do not have to worry about filling up my laptops HD. But because I now have a laptop I would like to have some music on that for when I am out and about without my external HDD.

So my question is, is it possible to have 2 libraries in iTunes, 1 for when I am at home and connected to my external HDD and another for when I am away? If not, is the next easiest thing to create another user account so I can have a different iTunes library on each?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really, this would be a good feature though.

The best bet is to use your iPod on manual sync mode when travelling and listen to music off that.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yes you can have more than one library. If you hold down option when you launch iTunes, you can choose your library at that time.

Here is a little more info.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nice find, though it doesn't keep your ratings between the files and you have to add them to each library manually.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...it's not going to sync any differences between the two libraries. But for having one "one the move" library and one "at home" library, it should work ok.

6. jaseman thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thanks for your replies.

If you do create 2 libraries, what happens to the media browser in iLife, say when looking at adding music to iMovie in the media window? Does it use the last library selected in iTunes?

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Not sure, it probably just looks for the expected library at Home/Music/iTunes.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I know that for iMovie, when importing photos, it looks for your last used library in iPhoto (I have 3 different iPhoto Libraries). I don't know if it's the same for iTunes, but I imagine so.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Good to know...I assumed the media browser wouldn't be that smart...but I'm glad it is. :D

10. jaseman thread starter macrumors newbie

That will be good if it does, I will try it out tonight.