iTunes library preference: auto reset?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bcburrows, Dec 28, 2011.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Hi

Wondered if anyone else had this problem and or know of a solution.

I subscribed to iTunes Match and have completed the iTunes match process - which took about a day!

After this was completed I then

Moved all my iTunes media to my external NAS hard drive. The hard drive is always connected to my TC and is always on.

I did the whole process through iTunes - iTunes moved the files across for me and I then went into preferences, and altered the location of the iTunes data to the location on the NAS, I also selected the option to keep the iTunes folder organised.

However now every time I load iTunes it can not find my music/movies/tv shows etc and I have to go into preferences, where the default folder is selected, I then have to select the NAS and then update iTunes - which takes time.

Does anyone know why it is auto resetting the default media location each time, and more importantly how to stop it from needing to be done!

Thanks
    Anyway

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

You have to make sure the share on your NAS is mounted (showing in Finder as a Volume) BEFORE you open iTunes. If iTunes can't find the share that you have selected in preferences, it resets to a default library.

You might want to keep your library local anyway. The library is just a database of items, it does not have to be in the same location as your actual media files.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your primary iTunes media folder is located on an external drive and that drive isn't mounted before you launch iTunes, it can't find your folder, so it creates one on your local drive. Either make sure the external drive is mounted before you launch iTunes, or make your primary folder one on your internal drive. You can still add music files located on other drives.

How to split a single iTunes library over two media locations