iTunes Library Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bluechipBMW, Mar 29, 2012.

1. bluechipBMW macrumors member

For those that have an iPad and an iPhone do you have separate iTunes library or do you just have one. I'm wondering if there are pros and cons to having one or keeping them separate.

Thanks in Advanced!

2. DeuxIt macrumors member

same library, different play lists. i dont see the point of having a different library or how you would even do that. but having different playlists for each is simple.

3. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I find itunes to be such a pain in the butt to work with I'd not dream of having more than one library.

4. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I have all my playlists sync between all my iDevices and Macs. It's actually works very well. I download a song, add it to a playlist, and now that song is in the same playlist on all my devices and macs.

As far as libraries, I only have one.

5. bluechipBMW thread starter macrumors member

I created two separate folders on an external hard drive so when I launch iTunes from my MBP I hold down the Option key and I can select which iTunes library I want to launch. I originally thought this was a must but realizing one library is enough so I was wondering what everyone else was doing.

6. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I've got two libraries. Not sure if it'll continue that way. (I'm new to the iPad.) But, it's working great.

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be frank but, having 2 libraries is completely absurd and unecessary. It makes absolutely no sense having 2 libraries. Just sync what you want to where you want and be done with it. For one, having 2 libraries prevents you from wifi syncing since you'll have to run back to your computer and make sure the right library is up. I can't think of one legitimate reason anyone would want to do this besides being super OCD. All of your iDevices can sync the exact same media so why make it complicated?