Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Hi, could anybody help me with this question? I just copied my music files to the 'music' folder. When I add a file to the iTunes library it simply copies the file to another folder. So the same file exists twice on the hard drive? Isn't this a waste of disk space? Is there a way to prevent this (apart from manually deleting the file from the music folder)?

I hope this is not a very silly question.. thanks!

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
ppnkg said:
Hi, could anybody help me with this question? I just copied my music files to the 'music' folder. When I add a file to the iTunes library it simply copies the file to another folder. So the same file exists twice on the hard drive? Isn't this a waste of disk space? Is there a way to prevent this (apart from manually deleting the file from the music folder)?

I hope this is not a very silly question.. thanks!

By default, iTunes organizes your music for you, meaning that after you import your music into iTunes, you can delete everything you put into the 'music' folder on your own.

Alternately, you could turn off this feature. It's in Preferences->advanced. Uncheck "copy music to iTunes library when importing" or something of that ilk

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
I turned off the automatic setting you were talking about, and import my music into a 'music' folder i created. Then i set iTunes so it always looks in this folder and uses it for the library.
Nice and tidy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.