iTunes Library Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tomaz, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

I would like to split my iTunes library and have all audio files on my internal MbP hard drive, but all videos on an external HD, cause they just use up too much space. Anyone any idea how to do that? :confused:
    I would like to let iTunes still organize my files if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions !!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Move your video folder to the external and then place an alias to the new videos folder where the original videos folder used to be.

3. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a bad suggestion, however, there's no "video folder" since iTunes organizes files according to artist labels. I believe that's i.e. Seinfeld or The Office for TV-series... I might be wrong though...I can't check at the moment, my iTunes-computer is at home ;-)

Maybe I should just place aliases for all the different shows...

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

iTunes creates a "TV Shows" and, I think, "Movies" folders in "iTunes Music" folder. You can put the alias for those two and it should work.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If you hold OPTION while adding files (by dragging them to iTunes) they will not be copied locally to your hardrive. So put your video files on an external drive and then drag them to iTunes while holding OPTION and they will stay there (but will be added to your library). Movies should be in a folder called "Movies" with Itunes Music and TV Shows are in a folder called "TV Shows". Music Videos, unfortunately, are by artist, so moving them will be a bit of a pain.