Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Back when I first got my MacBook my iTunes library was small enough to keep on my MacBook's 80GB hard drive.

After awhile as my library grew I had to move it onto a file server I have in my house cause it would no longer fit on the MacBook's drive.

All I did to accomplish this was I moved the iTunes Music folder to the file server and in the iTunes preferences under advanced I just changed the iTunes music folder option to point to the folder's new location.

Just recently I upgraded to a 250GB drive in my MacBook so I wanted to move the library back off of the file server.

So I just moved the folder back and pointed iTunes back to the new location of the music folder.

The only problem is every time I try and listen to any song it goes and connects to the file server and tries to play the song off of the file server instead of off the internal hard drive.

I have tried everything i can think of to get it to play the music on the local HD.

I even opened the iTunes Library xml and did a find and replace on the old path of the music folder to the new path.

I am out of ideas, does anyone have any idea why I'm having this problem or how I can fix it?

Thank you.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
the correct way to move your library is to first change its location in preferences and after that you click advanced in the menu bar and select consoldate library. Then you would delete the music folder you no longer need (if you want) but leave the other files in the itunes folder. If you can still do it this way, i would give it a try.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
the correct way to move your library is to first change its location in preferences and after that you click advanced in the menu bar and select consoldate library. Then you would delete the music folder you no longer need (if you want) but leave the other files in the itunes folder. If you can still do it this way, i would give it a try.

Just for clarity, am I right in thinking that this will only work if you've also directed iTunes to manage all of your music for you as well? I've wanted to use this option in the past, but don't want iTunes to manage / organize my music for me, and feel like I've found that it won't work. Frankly, I wish it wasn't an 'all or nothing' kind of deal, as moving music libraries around should be a trivial operation and shouldn't require editing every playlist as it does now.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Just for clarity, am I right in thinking that this will only work if you've also directed iTunes to manage all of your music for you as well? I've wanted to use this option in the past, but don't want iTunes to manage / organize my music for me, and feel like I've found that it won't work. Frankly, I wish it wasn't an 'all or nothing' kind of deal, as moving music libraries around should be a trivial operation and shouldn't require editing every playlist as it does now.

I believe that method does require having that option checked off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.