iTunes library sharing/syncing. Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EmeraldICE, Sep 22, 2009.

1. EmeraldICE macrumors member

I keep all my iTunes files (podcasts, audio, video, etc.) on my main Windows 7 desktop.
    I just got a Macbook Pro and so far I've been using the sharing feature in iTunes to listen to my music on the MacBook.
    I've just set up file sharing on my windows 7 pc and now I'm able to see all the actual files on my MB. I was wondering if there was any way that I could just point my MacBook to the same directory that my windows 7 pc uses for iTunes and have the SAME library file on each computer.
    So, when I make changes, add songs, etc, to either computer, the library files would sync (update) the new information and I'd basically have an exact replica on either computer.
    Of course I realize that this would mean that my Windows 7 desktop would basically be the host for all these files and would have to remain online which is no problem. And I realize that I'd only be able to have one iTunes open at a time, which again is no problem.
    So basically I'm just wondering if there are any programs that could allow me to do this?
    I've seen programs that copy all the files from each computer and have them in sync that way, but like I mentioned, I don't want the actual files on my macbook. The windows 7 will be the host.
    I just want to sync my library files so I can make changes on either computer.

2. EmeraldICE thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind. I figured it out and I figured I ought to post what I did in case someone searches for this in the future.

I shared my iTunes folder on my main computer and on my macbook I command clicked iTunes and pointed it to the library file on my main computer, then when my library loaded up, I directed the iTunes directory to the one on my main.
    I just tested it by adding some new songs, adding some play counts, listening to a podcast, etc. on my macbook and it was all reflected on my main computer.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup.. that is what I do. I have all of my media files on an xp box and then have two mac's and an apple tv connected to that one library. I then created an automation script that I run on my two macs that update them if I add new files to the main library. I wish it did this automatically but I am hoping that day will come soon.

4. bigbuilder macrumors newbie

iTunes library sharing/syncing Is this possible

So weve already got two separate libraries in this house, with only one iTunes account. This just makes it easy to see whats on one and not the other? And easier to copy from one to the other?

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think so. One library, everyone is using that one library. The only problem is if you add any new content to the main library or any library and you want it shared over, you have to do it manually.