iTunes Library song title / filename weirdness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nhexima, Aug 11, 2008.

1. nhexima macrumors member

There's this weird problem I find keeps cropping up in iTunes, I'm not sure what causes it...

Every so often, a bunch of songs in my library will just have their song title field (sort of) reset. All the other metadata will be the same (album, disc, date added, etc.) but the song title will revert to the file name. If you do a "Get Info" it will re-read the tag information and sort out, but I'm noticing half my library is getting this way. It's kind of annoying, though thankfully not damaging. The files themselves have not been moved or changed at all, it just seems this happens to my songs over time, like rot.

Is this a typical problem in iTunes? Has anyone else encountered this?

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

3. nhexima thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Edit: Eep. Upgrading tags from 2.3 to 2.4 seems to screw up the artwork and kill the temporary "Get Info" fix. D'oh!

4. nhexima thread starter macrumors member

Finally figured this out - it turns out this was due to m3u files.

When I was using Windows, I used to manage my mp3 library with folders and had m3u playlists generated everytime I ripped a CD. These stayed when I moved to the Mac.

When iTunes does the occasional folder rescan of the library folder, it "reimports" the m3u, leaving to this filename mix up. The solution, I guess, is to delete all my old m3u playlists.