iTunes library storage ?? Cloud

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by darenf, May 24, 2015.

1. darenf macrumors newbie

Guys
    until 2 weeks ago i had my personal itunes library installed on a local WD 6 TB duo NAS. All was fine and access to my 650gb library was uneventful. Then i suffered a failure of the drive which has rendered it useless.

Fortunately i have a recently backed up copy but i am now searching for the best possible solution.

I have 1TB of storage available on Microsoft one drive cloud storage as one option. However the write ups for connectivity are not brilliant.

Given the size of my library which includes some home movies - therefore not everything is downloaded from iTunes i am looking for the best solution. Cost will be an issue and if i can use either my 1tb with MS or the 200GB better on iCloud then i am open to suggestions.

I am nervous about having local storage again unless i could sync with my cloud storage in a more efficient way?

I don't want to have to constantly log in each and every time i use my apple TV for videos for example so simple is best.

look forward to some advice.

thanks Daz

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

You might want to consider a company like Crashplan which will back up your HDs offsite.

3. ozaz macrumors 65816

Presumably you were using the RAID 0 configuration. You should use RAID 1, then a single drive failure would not lead to lost data (assuming you have 2 drives installed)

It seems like your NAS has built in Dropbox support, so you could add a Premium Dropbox account ($99/year) to have it also mirrored to the cloud

If you had a Synology NAS you would have more options for cloud backup/sync, including OneDrive:
    https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/5.2/cloud_services
    (see 'cloud sync' section)

4. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

I don't think you have to drastically change how your storing your data. You had a hard drive failure and was able to recover because you had a backup. The only mistake I'd say you made was using RAID0 (so it sounds like) for your NAS instead of RAID1 (or 5/6 if you had more drives). RAID0 is fine if you don't care about loosing the data but that's not the case here.

I wouldn't bother with cloud storage. That's fine for smaller things like documents but not ideal for larger things that could take days to download and even longer to upload.

I suggest you change your NAS so it mirrors the data across the hard drives and continue to backup regularly. I also suggest maintaining a 2nd offsite backup and rotate your backups regularly. That will give you plenty of protection against hard drive failures.