iTunes Library Stored in an ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Hawkeye411, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Hello,

Can I store my iTunes library on my Apple TV and then access it with my MBP?

When I am using iTunes on my MBP, I would like to be able to have iTunes look for video files (i.e. movies and TV shows) on my Apple TV. Then I can sync them with my iPhone when I need to take them with me. Or do I need to have a separate copy of the video files in my MBP?

Thanks.

2. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

OK .. did some more reading and I think I understand how it works now. The Apple TV (ATV) works sort of like my iPhone. It syncs with an existing iTunes library. Anything that is purchased on the computer can by synced with ATV. Also, anything that is purchased on the ATV will be synced with the computer.

I think I will set up an external HD on my Time Capsule and then place my iTunes library there. I have an iMac at home and I will sync the ATV with the iMac. The iMac will use the itunes library that is located on the external HD.

My son has an older iMac and I will also sync his iMac with the library that is located on the external HD. Also, I will sync my MBP with the external HD. If I purchase apps or music on my iPhone or MBP, when I am not connected to the external HD, I will consolidate my iTunes library when I am at home. I don't listen to music or watch video on my MBP. I always use my iPhone to do this so this should free up room on my MBP.

I just ordered a 40GB ATV about 10 min ago. Hopefully I will get it next week. I probably would have bought one before but I recently got a 42" LCD TV and the ATV wouldn't have connect to my older CRT television.

Oh ... I found a great article about using external HD's for your iTunes media. Here is the link.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

3. jemce macrumors newbie

I am agree with Hawkeye.I also think so.I am a music lover.