iTunes Library Sync Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pauliedoggs, Jan 15, 2011.

1. pauliedoggs macrumors member

OK, I know this question has been asked ad nauseum but I need to ask it again. I searched around this forum and, based on some restoring from backup stuff I did with another helpful member here last year, I think I know what to do but I just want to be sure.

Here is the message I get:

"The iPhone "my username" is synced with another iTunes Library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes Library? An iPhone can only be synced with one iTunes Library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes Library"

My Question:
    Will this only wipe out my music and not my apps? I don't care about the songs I have on the phone be/c there are only 2 but I have a lot of apps.

Background info:
    My old PC died and another member here helped me restore from a backup last year onto my new PC. At that time I had no songs and did no syncing of music. Now, I want to get back into listening to music and I am getting this message. I sync all the time (just not music) so all my contacts, apps, etc are on iTunes and the phone.

Thanks in advance.
    --Paulie

2. SonicStomp macrumors member

paulie - my understanding is that it will wipe *any* content on the phone that doesn't reside in the library of the computer attached.

3. pauliedoggs thread starter macrumors member

So, if I have all my apps, contacts, notes, etc in iTunes already from my frequent syncs then I should be OK to tell it to erase everything re-place it?

I also thought that if it did wipe out all my apps I could go to the App Store and download them again since I purchased them already?

Tnx.

4. SonicStomp macrumors member

providing the content is in the library you are syncing with then yes u are good.

i've never had to re-install/download purchased content but I believe there is a way of doing it. I think as long as your content was purchased with your current itunes account then it should be easy.

5. pauliedoggs thread starter macrumors member

Great. Thanks for the input.
    --P