iTunes Library Thinks It's Larger Than It Actually Is

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chucknorris, Apr 29, 2010.

1. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Ever since I downloaded iTunes 9.1 my library has been growing out of control. The only problem is, I haven't added any music to it. It says it's 3,091.80 GB now and tends to get bigger every day. This would be a minor nuisance were it not accompanied by other problems (recently added music disappearing, library file error messages, etc.).

Has anybody dealt with anything like this? It may well be a known issue, but my awkwardly worded searches didn't turn anything up.

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

What specific file is it reading as that large, iTunes_Library.lib, or where it says the number of albums time and size? Are you on 9.1.1?

I haven't really had any problems with iTunes lately.

3. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

It's at the bottom of iTunes where it lists albums/time/size. I don't know where that info comes from, but it sure is puzzling.

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Hmm, I don't know where it comes from either. I would do some looking around at files. Obviously try restarting, repairing permissions, reinstalling iTunes. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy your 4TB HDD! :D

5. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

hey, try downloading a few random Podcasts to see if the information is displayed correctly under Podcasts, if not then start iTunes in Safe Mode (alt+cmd then open application), if that doesn't solve anything, move all your music out of iTunes to a second location e.g. Desktop then use AppCleaner (free) to fully remove iTunes, Repair Permissions, Restart then reinstall iTunes, then add all your music into iTunes again, hopefully it should be back to normal :) p.s. do you have a 4TB HDD? and what size should your iTunes Library be?

6. Meltdown macrumors newbie

That is a massive library! How much is it going up by?

Do you embed artwork in the files or let it download from the itunes store? I embed in mine, and often find that it doesn't add the extra hd space the art takes up in each file until after it's been played.