iTunes library to Thunderbolt drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wjfranks, Jul 28, 2013.

1. wjfranks macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro is a 2008 model and my internal 2 tab drive is full. So I am going to set up a Mac mini as an iTunes server rather than install bigger drives and run the Mac Pro all the time. I am going to use LaCie thunderbolt drives with the Mac mini. How do I get my iTunes library from my Mac Pro to the LaCie drive attached to my Mac mini?

2. pmau macrumors 65816

My opinion is, and many may disagree, create a additional library by holding ALT when clicking on iTunes.

Then, copy your content to the Thunderbolt drive, but without the library.

Finally, add all the content to the newly created libary.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I know this is an old thread, but has the OP had any issues with having the iTunes library on a Thunderbolt drive? I have been having issues with a CalDigit T3 in the same situation upon waking from sleep. If I never let the Mini or drives sleep the everything is fine, but if the Mini and/or drives go to sleep and I try to connect to the shared library from my AppleTV, the AppleTV will sometimes time out while trying to connect. I never have this issue using an external G-Drive (USB2) or WD MyBook (USB3). I have tried both using the software RAID setting and JBOD setting with the same results; It takes my AppleTV about 10-15s to connect using the WD and 45-70s to connect using the T3. The only conclusion that I have been able to draw from all of this is that Thunderbolt does not work as a connection for your iTunes library.

I also tried putting my home folder on the T3 initially but the Mini's GUI was completely unresponsive for several seconds upon waking, so I had to move the home folder back internal.

5. satcomer, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I have changed my mine for those with the new fast Macs when it comes to iTunes Library. I am coming to the conclusion you should look at a Home NAS that has an iTunes Server in it. IMHO you should look at Synology. You can see their promo video here: