iTunes library transfer.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RRouthier, Mar 6, 2008.

1. RRouthier macrumors newbie

Hello,
    After several weeks of stalking this forum, I finally decided to post.

I just received my new MBP Wednesday, and it is my first mac. My main (and really only) problem right now is trying to figure a way to transfer all my songs (preferable with the play count intact) from the iTunes library on our PC to my MBP. I wondering if there was a way I could do this wirelessly. The PC is hooked up to a D-Link router and my MBP picks up the wireless signal easily. The problem is I can't seem to find a way to network with the PC. My sister has a laptop, a Dell, and is able to talk to the PC no problem. However, the PC doesn't see my Mac on our network.

I know I can connect directly to the PC with a Firewire or USB connection, however it would be useful if I could transfer files without having to do so.

I tried using google for help, but couldn't find any clear cut directions on how to do this. All help is welcomed.

Thanks.

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

First of all, to copy your iTunes info with playlists and play counts etc in tact, you will need to copy the entire "iTunes" folder (on a pc, it's in my documents > my music > itunes) That has all of the relevant information.

The recommended methods are to use a USB drive or some other physical method, but you should be able to do this wirelessly. Make sure the right folder is set up for sharing on the PC. In Finder, there should be a section direcly below Devices that lists shared locations. If the pc is in a workgroup it may show the workgroup with the pc inside of it rather than directly.

If it isn't working, can you give us some additional info about your network settings (dhcp on/off, etc?) and can your mac see your sister's Dell if she has something shared?

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

There are a number of 3rd party programs that will do this, I believe. Senuti might (I'm not sure if it will grab playlists) and I thing there are others - I know because I found something to extract all this data from a Windows formatted iPod so I could format it in Mac and move everything over....

Let me do some looking - I'll be back.

MacDann

4. RRouthier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, I've got my music transferring right now. That was actually really straight forward.